10 Nov 2008

On Nikki Kaye's recent victory

I never thought I'd write this post; I mean, between my interests in relationships, programming, and left-wing politics (and that's just the topics I've touched so far in my blog; I'm sure I'll cover my other interests soon enough), surely they'll give me enough to talk about. But no, what with the recent National victory in New Zealand, especially in Auckland Central (which is still getting a lot of media coverage), I figured I'd chip in with a word or two.

Today, while taking The Ferret to the dentist to have her wisdom tooth pulled out and sitting in the waiting room, I saw a big half-page article in the Herald about none other than our favourite Auckland Central MP. I'm very happy for her that she's so much in the limelight; yes, I'm envious. (More on this later.)

You see, I've known Nikki for a couple of years, but we haven't crossed paths for more than 10 years now; and yet after all these years, I still remember what a great friend she was, and I'd find it difficult to imagine anybody who knew her who would say otherwise. I strongly believe that her personable and memorable nature is, and will continue to be, a key ingredient of her success.

10+ years is a long time for anybody to change, and we probably wouldn't recognise each other on the street now, but if she's anything like the person I knew then, then I know Auckland Central is in very good hands.

So, on that note, as someone who knew Nikki and has only good things to say: Nikki, I want to congratulate you on winning Auckland Central; I knew, long before the election, you would succeed where nobody else could. And I mean this as high praise, coming as I do as someone with no love of National's aims or values. But then again, I believe your success was of your own making, and not in any way due to your party allegiance. I have every confidence that you will pave an even greater path of success in the next three years. Keep up the good work!

No comments: